Sankt Georgen
Sepsi chair Saint George Sfăntu Gheorghe, Jud. Covasna
It is the largest town in Covasna County, at an altitude of 525-580 m. It was named after the patron saint of St. George, the patron of the fortified church of the former settlement - Szentgyörgyfalva.
In this part of the Olt valley, people settled relatively early, as evidenced by the archaeological findings found in today's city.
It was first mentioned as a city in 1461, and in 1492, in a letter from István Báthori as a privileged city. Over time it was integrated with the south-facing Szemerja, and then merged with it administratively in 1880.
The economic development of the city was also somewhat hindered by the proximity of Brasov and Kézdivásárhely, both of which had advanced trade and crafts. So Sfântu Gheorghe retained a kind of agricultural character.
One of the most glorious periods in the history of the city was during the Revolution and War of Independence of 1848-49. It was here, in the hall of the House of the Chair, that the necessity of armed self-defense was commenced.


Hungarian
Roman